showcase_r_14.jpg

List of Special Collections

Those collections that have been processed have links to the collection-level descriptions. Detailed inventories of these collections are available upon request to the Institute Bibliographer/Archivist. All other collections listed without descriptions or links are in the process of being arranged and described.


*

Tokarzewski-Karaszewicz Papers

Jan Tokarzewski-Karaszewicz (1885-1954) completed gymnasium at Zhytomyr, and then obtained a doctorate in philosophy and economics at Fribourg University in Switzerland in 1909. In 1918-1921 he served as an adviser to the Ukrainian National Republic missions in Vienna and as consul general in Istanbul. In 1922-1924 Tokarzewski-Karaszewicz became a director of the Ministry of External Affairs for the UNR government-in-exile in Poland. From 1924 he headed the International Heraldic Institute in Paris, and from 1936 he worked in the Vatican Archives in Rome. In 1948-1954 he was a leading member of the Anti-Bolshevik Bloc of Nations in London. His writings included numerous articles on Ukrainian history, literature, and heraldry, as well as the unpublished monograph Istoriia ukrainskoi dyplomatii. The collection as a whole provides insights into the immediate post-World War I period in Ukraine, especially with regard to the Ukrainian National Republic under the command of Symon Petliura and subsequently the government-in-exile. The bulk of the papers is comprised of correspondence to Tokarzewski-Karaszewicz from political and civic leaders, artists, journalists, scholars, and writers. The papers also include personal documents, manuscripts, published articles, and photographs.
Scope: 1895, 1906-1955
Size: 5 linear ft., 14 boxes

Harvard Library Link

*

Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart Minutes

The Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart was the predecessor of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Holy Trinity. Greek Catholic immigrants from Ukraine, arriving to Boston around 1898, established the St. Peter and Paul Brotherhood, and by 1914 raised enough money to buy a church at 136 Arlington Street. In January 1924, the parish was incorporated under the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. In 1926 Bishop Constantine Bohachevsky ordered the transfer of Rev. Iosyf Pelekhovych from Boston to Detroit, and appointed Rev. Onufrii Kovalski in his place. This appointment created much upheaval in the parish which led the parish to invite an Orthodox priest to become its pastor. The church thus joined the Orthodox Church, and became known as the Holy Trinity Church of Boston. The minutes record attendance, treasurer’s reports, elections, fundraising activities, and other parish business. The early information pertains to the purchase of a new church building, and its subsequent renovations; the later information deals with concerns that led to the conversion of the parish to the Orthodox creed.
Scope: 1914-1928
Size: 1 volume

Harvard Library Link

*

Ukrainian Council for Physical Culture Album

The Ukrainian Council for Physical Culture (Rada fizychnoi kultury, or RFK) was founded by Ukrainian refugees in postwar Germany in November 1945. This organization coordinated over 50 Ukrainian sports clubs that had arisen in the DP camps. These clubs organized teams in track-and-field, volleyball, basketball, swimming, skiing, table tennis, boxing, hiking, chess, and soccer. Both men and women were involved in athletic competitions organized by the RFK. The RFK also promoted sports by introducing a standard test for a physical fitness badge; accredited referees and judges; and organized courses and training camps. On the initiative of the RFK the International Committee of Political Refugees held a DP Olympiad in June-November 1948 in Nuremberg. The council also organized competitions among Ukrainian sports clubs, between Ukrainian and non-Ukrainian clubs, and occasional contests against non-DP clubs or military units. After the mass emigration of refugees from Germany, the RFK ceased its activities in 1950. The album includes photographs of the various Ukrainian DP sports clubs in Germany that were overseen by the Council. The majority of photographs were taken during the 1948 DP Olympiad, and during inter-league competitions between Ukrainian sports clubs.
Scope: 1946-1948
Size: 1 photo album

Harvard Library Link

*

Ukrainian Cultural Society in Detroit, Michigan

The Ukrainian Cultural Society was established on February 28, 1943. The founding members were Anna Bilovus, Osyp Bilovus, Vasyl Furhal, and Vasyl Kolodii. Mykhailo Kazymiriv was elected president at the subsequent meeting. The Society's mission was to bring Ukraine to the attention of Americans, as well as to raise awareness about Ukraine among Ukrainian-Americans. This mission was to be achieved partly through publication efforts in English and Ukrainian, such as the book Ukraine's Call to America printed in 1947. Meetings were held at the Ukrainian American Center in Detroit. The minutes include information such as opening remarks, correspondence, election results, treasurer's reports, names of new members, and brief summaries of discussions.
Scope: 1943-1948
Size: 1 volume

Harvard Library Link

*

Ukrainian Knowledge Society of New York City (Prosvita) Records

The Ukrainian Knowledge Society of New York City was founded in 1908. The goals of the society were to support fellow members both morally and materially, to foster Ukrainian national and religious goals, and to assist the Ukrainian community in the United States. Membership to the society was open to both men and women between the ages of 16 and 45. By the time of the society's thirtieth anniversary, there were 105 members. The records include registration cards, tickets, pass-books, statutes, and membership booklets. The registration cards provide useful biographical information about members of the Prosvita society.
Scope: 1908-1960
Size: 116 items

Harvard Library Link

*

Ukrainian Student Movement Records

The Ukrainian Student Movement Records are organized into three sub-collections: 1) Records of the Central Union of Ukrainian Students (TseSUS); 2) Records of the Union of Ukrainian Student Associations in Germany (SUSON); and 3) Records of the Federation of Ukrainian Student Organizations of America (SUSTA).
Established in Prague in 1922, the Central Union of Ukrainian Students (TseSUS) was organized to act as a coordinating body between student organizations outside the Soviet Union and to represent Ukrainian students and their interests throughout the world. TseSUS headquarters were in Prague, then in Vienna, Munich, and Paris before its move to the United States. TseSUS appointed representations in various countries, participated in international student organizations and conferences, and published materials in foreign languages.
The Union of Ukrainian Student Organizations in Germany and Danzig (SUSOND) was founded in Berlin in August 1924. In 1938 the organization accepted the Sich student societies in Vienna and Graz, and in 1939 the Ukrainian Academic Hromada in Prague. It was reorganized as the Union of Ukrainian Student Associations in Germany (SUSON) in December 1949. SUSON became the central Ukrainian student organization in Germany and supported the work of its many member student associations.
The Federation of Ukrainian Student Organizations of America (SUSTA) was founded in 1953 during the first congress of Ukrainian students in the United States, held at Columbia University. The members of SUSTA were scattered throughout some fifty universities and colleges in the United States. The mission of the federation was to help foster and disseminate knowledge about Ukrainian history, culture and traditions; to coordinate the activities of member clubs and societies; and to raise money on behalf of students.
The records contain correspondence, minutes, reports, student questionnaires, administrative documents, publications, and photographs.
Scope: 1922-1966
Size: 19 linear ft., 20 boxes

Ukr. Student Movement (TseSUS)
Ukr. Student Movement (Germany SUSON)
Ukr. Student Movement (SUSTA)

*

Ukrainian Technical Institute in New York Records

In December 1951 the Ukrainian Technical-Husbandry Institute Association was chartered in New York. This association was chartered as an education institution under the name of The Ukrainian Technical Institute on August 11, 1954, a modified continuation of the postsecondary school Ukrainian Husbandry Academy established in Prague in May 1922. Courses began during the 1954-1955 academic year and continued until the 1963-1964 academic year when the Institute folded. At first the Institute was divided into two divisions, offering courses in economics and political science. In 1956 the Board of Trustees approved the organization of a third division, Engineering; in 1958 it authorized the creation of a Department of Education and Pedagogy; and in 1962 it added a fourth division, Divinity. The mission of the Institute was to provide professional and vocational training for positions in business and government, as well as to promote Ukrainian cultural values. The Institute’s records provide background into the establishment, organization, and management of the Institute. They include administrative, financial, course, and student records.
Scope: 1949-1964
Size: 2 linear ft., 2 boxes

Harvard Library Link

*

Vlasova and Lositsky Collection

The collection consists of a report with photographs that examines and shows the changing cultural and architectural policy towards the historic Podil district in Kyiv, Ukraine during the second half of the twentieth century. The report was co-written by Tatiana Vlasova and Iurii Lositsky circa 1990-1991.
Scope: ca. 1960-1990
Size: 13 items

Harvard Library Link

*

Vytvytskyi Papers

Stepan Vytvytskyi (1884-1965) was a member of the Ukrainian National Democratic party and of the political committee which prepared the declaration of 1 November 1918 by the Ukrainian National Rada. As a member of the delegation from the Western Ukrainian National Republic (ZUNR) to the Labor Congress in Kyiv, he participated in the ratification of the union of the UNR and ZUNR on 22 January 1919. He became state secretary of external affairs, and he represented the Western Province of the UNR in negotiations with the Entente for a truce with Poland. In 1919-1920 he was deputy to the head of the UNR Directory’s mission in Warsaw. Vytvytskyi directed the Department of External Affairs of the ZUNR government-in-exile in Vienna, and in 1921-1923 he headed the ZUNR missions in Paris and London. He was elected president of the Government-in-exile of the UNR upon the death of Livytskyi in 1954, and reelected at its fifth session in 1961. The papers consist of a manuscript by Stepan Vytvytskyi that traces the biography of Andrii Livytskyi (1879-1954), the former head of the Government-in-exile of the Ukrainian National Republic.
Scope: n.d.
Size: 1 document

Harvard Library Link

*

Wacyk Collection

Theodor Wacyk (1886-1968) was born in the town Kolodiivka, Skalat county, Galicia. He studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow, Poland, and later in Vienna, Munich, and Venice. During the First World War, he served in the Austrian and Ukrainian armies. Following the war, he moved to Italy, then Czechoslovakia, where he was a professor in the School of Art. From 1935 to 1942 he lived with his family in Ternopil, and from 1942 until his death in Plattling, Bavaria, West Germany. Wacyk drew and painted still lifes, landscapes, portraits (including self-portraits), and nudes. His paintings can be found in museums in Lviv, Prague, Rome, Munich, New York City, and Toronto. The collection is comprised of personal documents, biographical material to accompany his exhibits, and correspondence between Bohdan Tomkiw and various organizations regarding Wacyk's art work. The bulk of the collection includes photographs of his art work and family; and original charcoal and ink drawings, pastels, and oil paintings.
Scope: 1898-1922
Size: 6 boxes

Harvard Library Link